Parks Canada Sustainable Tourism Award
We were honoured to have been named the 2008 recipient of this presitigious award presented to us during the annual awards banquet of the Tourism Industry Association of Prince Edward Island.
The criteria established for the Parks Canada Sustainable Tourism Award reflect the three pillars of sustainable tourism development-economic viability, environmental sustainability, and cultural appropriateness. The recipient of this award has made a contribution to practising and promoting sustainable tourism in Canada by:
- Demonstrating a commitment to excellence and encouraging an appreciation of, and respect for, Canada's natural, cultural and aesthetic heritage;
- Striving to achieve tourism development in a manner which harmonizes economic objectives with the protection and enhancement of Canada's natural and cultural heritage;
- Cooperating with colleagues and the tourism industry in promoting sustainable development;
- Offering tourism products and services that are consistent with community values and the surrounding environment; and
- Fostering greater awareness of the economic, social, cultural and environmental significance of tourism.